Welcome to our first installment of the Recipe of the Week! Each week we will bring you new, flavorful suggestions to super charge you on your way to your fitness goals! This week we will begin where any meal planning should… BREAKFAST!
Garbanzo Bean Omelet
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Onions - diced
- 1/4 cup Green bell peppers - diced
- 1/4 cup Garbanzo beans canned - rinsed/drained, slightly mashed
- 2-3 Whole Eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Salsa
- (optional) 1 oz slice Low-fat Provolone cheese, reduced fat
- 1/3 cup Mandarin orange slices - in water
Alright, let’s start with those garbanzo beans. The recipe calls for canned, drained and rinsed. Yeah you should definitely do that. I got ambitious and decided to go with uncooked and I can now say that turning uncooked garbanzo beans into properly cooked garbanzo beans hardly seems worth the hassle. If you have time on your hands go for it, plenty of resources when you google “how to cook garbanzo beans”, but if you’re busy and need to eat go with canned.
Everything else is pretty straightforward:
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add onions and green peppers to sauté.
- Add beans and cook until heated through.
- Beat eggs separately and mix to pan.
- (Optional for the lactose tolerant: Top with slice of cheese.)
- Cook on low-medium until eggs are desired omlettey consistency.
- Flip onto plate, top with salsa and a side of oranges.
Approximate Nutritional Info:
- Fat: 10g
- Carbs: 36g
- Protein: 28